The success of Doritos Crash The Super Bowl app on Facebook is nothing short of stunning. How many brands can claim 100M video views of just five videos that people created on behalf of the brand? Only one that I am aware of.
Not only did Doritos and their co-creating consumers out-market just about every professional creative agency in Ad Land, they also likely did it using a whole lot less time and money than the other brands advertising during the Super Bowl.
Here are the key takeaway’s from my perspective:
- Crowd source the creative, production, and marketing.
- Give a big incentive for doing great work.
- Great results are never free. If you want results on Facebook, somebody has to pay. Organic distribution is icing but without the cake, it’s just going to make you sick.
- FOCUS: ditch the microsite. Build your branded experience where the people already are and where social sharing is inherent.
- Don’t over-complicate it for consumers. Create a video, upload it, share it. We’ll promote it and you can win big. Simple. No authorization required.
What am I missing?